I have always wanted to know how to make a coffee cozy, especially after receiving a coffee to-go recently with this dreadful styrofoam cozy!
Strips of fabric
Fabric for lining
Fusible interfacing or batting (depending on how puffy you want your cozy)
Velcro and a cute button
Paper, pencil, ruler
Usual sewing tools (ruler, rotary, thread)
Making the pattern:
1. Trace your coffee cozy template.
2. Add 1/2 inch all the way around and connect the dots or dashes.
3. Cut out your new pattern.
1. Lay out your strips and sew them together in a patchwork fashion like this. Press seams flat, either to one side or open, whatever your preference. (It’s just a cozy, so it doesn’t matter which direction you press the seams.)
3. Quilt your patchwork. I just stitched 1/4 inch in from each seam allowance.
4. Using your new pattern piece again, cut out your lining fabric the same size as your patchwork piece.
5. Lay these two layers right sides together, pin, and stitch using a 1/4 inch seam allowance. Leave an opening for turning.
1. I used a couple of these velcro tabs for the closure because they were easy, inexpensive and forgiving as far as perfect alignment.
NOTE: before stitching the velcro tabs, you might want to make the marks on both the right side and lining pieces and then try on the cozy to test the placement.
2. Lay your patchwork cozy flat with the lining facing up. Measure in about 3/4 inch from the edge and make a dot with a pencil. Center one tab of the velcro over this dot and stitch.
3. Lay your patchwork cozy flat with the right side facing up. Measure in about 3/4 inch from the edge and make a dot with a pencil. Center the other half of the velcro tab over that dot and stitch all the way around.
Select a decorative button to sew on the right side of the patchwork from the velcro tab.
Try on your new coffee cozy!
Here is a link to a pdf of these instructions without all the photos in case you want to print this without using up all your toner.
- – – – -
To offer more inspiration, I have been adding links to coffee cozies made by blogger friends using this tutorial: