Curtain Call

I have been on a home decorating kick lately. This past spring, we finished painting our kitchen and living room. Since then I have been looking forward to making a valance, tablecloth and napkins using Heather Bailey’s Freshcut fabrics.

Finally, I had a free weekend! Here’s how the valance turned out:

First, I measured the width of the window and the length I wanted the valance to be (long enough to cover the blinds when they are open). That measurement came to 49″ wide x 13″ long. I added 2″ to the width for the side seams and then doubled the width to get more fullness. I added 2″ to the length for the lower hem, and 3″ to the length for the rod casing. My final measurement came to 102″ wide x 18.5″ long.

To hem the side edges, I hemmed the sides by turning under 1/2″ and turning under another 1/2″. Then I sewed close to the inner fold, repeating for the other side.

For the lower hem, I turned the lower edge under 1/2″ and then another 1-1/2″. Then I sewed close to the inner fold.

For the casing, I turned the top under 1/2″ and then another 2-1/4″. The top of the casing is formed by sewing 1″ in from the fold. The bottom of the casing is formed by sewing 1-1/4″ from the first line of stitching, or 1/4″ from the inner fold.

Finally, I finished off the hem with this cool ruffle trim, which added more length and a stylish accent.

I made a coordinating tablecloth from the Freshcut collection too. My table measured 41″ x 58″, and I had 2-yard piece of fabric, so I had to make that work for me.

I added a 2-1/2″ border to frame the main fabric.

Last winter, I found this cool tool – the EZY-hem by Dritz – which works great for ironing small hems, very handy when making handmade napkins.

great for ironing hems

I made the mixy-matchy napkins from Amy Karol’s Bend-the-Rules-Sewing book and some cocktail napkins from the Purl Bee to go with the new tablecloth.

I love how everything coordinates yet it’s not too matchy. Our kitchen has become the best room in the house! Wish I could have you over for coffee in the newly decorated kitchen.

Wait… I’m not quite done yet! I was on a roll Sunday afternoon, so I decided to make the valance for my sewing room, which has been on the sidelines for a couple months too. I used the Gothic Rose fabric from Amy Butler’s Belle collection.

I followed the same method as described above, and added a piece of lace trim for the ruffle. Isn’t that sweet?!

Wow, what a productive weekend!

5 thoughts on “Curtain Call

  1. Goodness… you sure have been productive! I love your “new” kitchen! Freshcut fabrics are sooo cute… and I love the new valance in your sewing room!

  2. WOW! You have been busy making your curtains, too…..I am in love with the tablecloth as well. Gorgeous work! It sure makes a person smile, to walk in their room and see such fun color spots!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s