Branding Project Part 2: Designing Collateral
This is part 2 in my branding project design. If you missed Part 1, click here.
The next step in this project was to start designing the collateral for my fictitious diapering concierge business, things like a business card, stationery (letterhead, envelope), a brochure, labels for products, hang tags, a website, and mock-ups of a set of products appropriate for the type of business.
Since the Greek Goddess Artemis was the protector of young children and young animals, I really wanted to offer custom diaper covers in animal prints, which meant I had to design animal prints. In my mind, that meant I should also illustrate the animals that go with the animal prints and figure out later how to use the animals in the collateral. That was A LOT of work, drawing a cheetah, leopard, giraffe and zebra, and the animal prints to go with them. But I’m so glad I spent the time on it because I love love love how they turned out. I ordered fabric swatches from Spoonflower so I could make prototypes.
I ended up doing a lot of work in Photoshop, putting my animal prints onto diaper covers and changing pads, for the digital files I had to use for my presentation and to turn in to the teacher.
Then I decided to make real-life prototypes, which included a baby quilt for the mock-up changing pad with my artemis cherub on the front side and the animal faces on the other side. Oops, I didn’t take a picture of both sides of the quilt/changing pad before turning it in. Here’s a picture of the fabrics.
I also made an actual diaper cover with the cherub print, and a pouch from suiting fabric and the animals for the lining as the package the diaper covers would come it. (Thanks for the tutorial from Dana Made It.) My idea is that all this would be in a welcome kit for new customers, a basket also including our luxury powder, bath wash and lotion.
Since I had the time over Spring Break, I designed a working website for this fictitious business, which was great web design practice. This was another place I saw an opportunity to use the animals I illustrated on the footer of each web page, in addition to the animal fabric prints.
After all that, we had to put together a brand standards manual so people would know how to use the logo and brand elements, and how not to use them, what fonts are allowed, etc. I won’t bore you with all those knitty-gritty details, so here’s a short version of the brand elements I put together.
* * * * *
It may seem a little backwards, but next week, I’m hoping to share with you some of my mood boards and sketches that went into brainstorming the brand for this business. (I need to photograph a page or two from my sketchbook.)
* * * * *
It was such a relief to finish this project, present it to my class, and receive a positive response, after all the blood, sweat and tears I shed over the past three months. Even my classmates who had businesses that might seem like easy ones to design for struggled until the bitter end.
And now, we move on to the next project, a smaller branding campaign, with about 4 weeks left in the semester. Hope you found some inspiration in reading about the process of branding a company. I grew quite passionate about this project, so I hope I get to do more of this type of branding work in my creative career. Thanks for stopping by!