Sew Sisters Quilting Bee: March Block
Welcome to March, sewing and quilting friends!
My month for my Sew Sisters Quilting Bee is March, so I’m asking my partners to make a Scrappy Bear Paw Block sorta like this one, using any bright solid and a variety of bright prints from their stash.
The final block will measure about 28″ to 28.5″ to 28.75″ square, give or take. I’m not too picky.
Bright Solid(s): Cut 16 – 4½” squares; Cut 8 – 5” squares (no white or cream)
Variety of prints: Cut 17 – 4½” squares; Cut 8- 5” squares
To make half square triangles: (Finished HST units should measure 4½” squares)
1. Lay a solid and print right sides together. Draw a diagonal line from corner to corner.
2. Sew ¼” away from that center line. Turn around and sew ¼” away from the center line on the other side.
If you have a Quick Quarter Ruler (pictured below), draw two sewing lines ¼” away from the center and then sew on those pencil lines.
3. Cut down the center diagonal line.
4. Press seam allowance to the solid fabric.
5. Now you have 2 half square triangles that need to be squared up. Place the diagonal line of a quilters ruler on the diagonal seam line of the HST. Make sure the left side and the bottom edge are lined up to 4½”. The left edge and the bottom edge will remain; trim the top edge and the right edge.
I didn’t take as many pictures as I should have for this tutorial, so click here for a good pictorial tutorial on making HSTs.
1. Layout out your pieces in the order shown here.
2. Sew each row together.
3. Sew rows together.