I am happy to report that I finished another quilt! Yippee (jumping up and down).
You may recall I made this quilt as part of a quilt-along last summer. I used Mod Girls fabrics by the fabulous Jennifer Paganelli, creator of Sis Boom fabrics. I love how colorful the simple rail fence blocks look with these colorful fabrics.
Finished Mod Girls Quilt
I spent so many hours last weekend doing free-motion all over this gem. I know, it doesn’t sound like a fun way to spend a weekend if you’re not into sewing. A mix of John Mayer’s songs proved to be a great playlist to listen to over and over while I quilted the day away. I was so relieved to have a full weekend to spend finishing my unfinished quilt projects.
The quilting went pretty well for me, which was a relief since this was the first large quilt I did free-motion quilting all over. It measures 58 inches wide by 78 inches tall. I think I only crossed lines once or twice, and my stitches weren’t always perfectly even, but I am very happy with how it turned out.
Backing of Mod Girls Quilt
I pieced the backing with a pink stripe through the middle, and then used the scraps I trimmed off the backing to piece together the binding, which worked out quite well.
Binding on Mod Girls Quilt
Since I have fabric scraps left over from this project, I might have to make another one of those string-pieced pillows to match this quilt! I am excited to use this one, especially during this time of year when I’m craving color and looking forward to signs of life in our gardens.
I finished my quilt top for the quilt-along early last week with plenty of time to spare!
I really love how this turned out! It’s so colorful and summery. I decided to go for the bigger size – 6 blocks across by 8 blocks down – since I had enough blocks. It measures 60″ by 80″ which should be a good size for our bed.
I am planning to do free motion quilting on this one, so I am excited for the next step!
I finally got all my fabric strips pieced, pressed and cut for Week 4 of the quilt along. I think these Mod Girls fabrics look so summery!
I ended up with about 48 blocks, so I’m experimenting with the layout.
I’m debating on 6 blocks across by 7 down or 6 blocks across by 8 down. I am leaning toward the bigger size because it would be nice to have a larger quilt for our bed. So far, I love how this is turning out!
I finally decided what sewing project to use these fabrics on. I am going to join Dana’s quilt along. Better late than never! I hesitated at first because I already have so many projects in the works, but it’s hard to resist starting a fun quilt along.
This stack, which has been in my stash for about a year now, is from the Mod Girls fabric collection from Jennifer Paganelli. I’m excited to be using it!
I cut them into the required 2.5″ strips tonight. I’m not sure if I will have enough strips to make a large enough quilt so I am going to add some solid fabrics too.
Now I just have to get caught up with to week three, which means piecing these strips into over 30 11.5″ blocks. It sounds like a lot of work but I know I can do it!