Art Cards-Weeks 19 and 20

Last week marked the end of my semester and my brother’s graduation from graduate school, so I used those occasions as inspiration for my art cards.

I know my brother’s achievement of getting his Master’s degree is still sinking in for him. I personally feel one step closer to becoming an artist with all the creative challenges I went through this semester.

I have been wanting illustrate seed packets for a few months, so I created a set of art cards to look like seed packets.

I used two of my favorite flowers for inspiration – morning glories and moonflowers. I planted the seedlings in the ground recently, so I hope they grow as well outside as they did in their indoor seed kits.

Designing a Billboard

For my concept development class, we had to come up with an idea for a billboard. Our main challenge was to show contrast, whether that be through value, color, shape, size, texture, scale, proximity, placement, or just something unexpected. I chose scale for my design. We were allowed to make part of the billboard extend outside our parameters of 3-1/2 inches by 12 inches, which can make it more eye-catching.

I was originally thinking about doing some type of public service message, like “stay in school” or “learn to read.” To be honest with you, I really don’t like billboards at all, so I decided to keep it light. Since garden season is upon us, I thought it would be fun to do a billboard for a seed company.


I worked out a few ideas with the usual process, thumbnail sketches and then a rough sketch, which I hated. So when it came time for me to do the final design, I worked a little slower and more deliberate. I really wanted those Prismacolor pencils to look shiny on the tomatoes and grassy on the background.

I’m really happy with how this turned out, so it was a good lesson for me to keep pushing myself. I’m off to work on more projects for finals. Have a great weekend, everyone!

Updates – Seeds and Sea Glass

I often forget to update you on an idea for a new project I wanted to try, so today I’m excited to give you a couple updates.

I wanted to show you how well my seed growing experiment is coming along.

Those morning glory seeds sprouted the very next day after I planted them! I swear, I didn’t put steroids in their soil. Everything else is sprouting too, and it’s fun to watch the different pace of each plant.

I wanted to share with you my jewelry-making experiment with the pendants I made from sea glass and wire.

I used this tutorial and this article for inspiration and guidance. I used these tools: a wire cutter, a round-nose pliers and a flat nose pliers, which are vital to jewelry making.

I also used these supplies: wire in 20-gauge and 26-gauge, and jump rings to hang the wrapped pendant from a chain or leather cord. I wish I could have found a gauge of wire in between these two, such as a 24-gauge, but the stores I looked at didn’t have that size in silver, so made it work with what I had in my stash.

It feels great to make progress on both of these experiments and to be able to share updates with you!